Friday, June 7, 2013

Week 1--End of the FIRST week!

I am completely exhausted.

The first week is DONE!

We have made it through challenges and exciting times for our kiddos.

Each week we have a theme with the kids to keep the learning going in a fun way! This week's theme was "We are Family!" to work on building team-building. We have had many issues during our school year before and after school program with bullying and working together so I added this week into our summer to start it off.

During this week, we played many different trust-building games that I used in TEAC 380, read many books that presented this idea in a different context, and we also completed crafts and different activities to learn more about our friends and the idea of friendship.

For field trips this week, we made tie blankets to show that we are "tied" together as a family (and to use on her movie Fridays), went to Memorial Stadium and had a kick off picnic with Raising Cane's at the park, got rained out of the pool, and visited the town of Ashland and toured the bank, saw the Gallery, and visited the Dairy Cone for some delicious ice cream!

We had some scheduling challenges and some conflicts with our bus and field trips, but we all made it through and had a very successful first week.

The kids definitely have learned more about other friends that they haven't before and have started working together as a team. We have started working on group positive reinforcements so we have to work as a team to get to our goals!

Goal for myself: Learn all parents names by the end of the summer. I have learned a lot that the parents respond so much better if I know their name and call them by that. I know some parents names, but I want to learn them all and call them by name by the end of July.

1 comment:

  1. Meg, just a quick note here. I LOVE that you have a goal to really know the parents and families of the kids. You get it...working with children involves everyone. One of the readings I sent you includes in its title something like "the children we share." This is spot on with your goal of knowing the parents as well as the students. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete